This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

is electronic ignition worth it?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: is electronic ignition worth it?

Postby tst » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:01 am

they are efficent systems but more prone to failure in 6 volts systems, low voltage weak battery will destroy it, not so much an issue with 12 volt systems

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:06 am

coppersmythe wrote:
Dave (69 lo-boy) wrote:I put a Pertronix ignition on years ago and my Cub starts instantly. One caveat , pertronix ignition has one negative that could be dangerous ! Make durn sure you start your tractor out of gear. just a "bump" of the starter is all it takes :

This is so true, instant starts.

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:24 am

People who switch to electronic ignition are people who DON’T UNDERSTAND ignition systems. As stated before the electronic ignition will not improve or increase spark, horsepower, or starting ability any better than a well tuned points-style ignition system. But then again it is the owner/operator choice what’s best for him and I won’t discount their choice. That being said a simple system like the Cub’s ignition doesn’t need to be redesigned or replaced it just needs some education and understanding how the system works. Very simple and Very reliable.

For anyone who wants to throw away there distributors I will gladly pay for the shipping cost to my house.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:14 am

I doubt it is a know-how as much as a reliability thing. The electronic ignition has no wear components.
I went with electronic ignition after my tractor died while mowing. I found no spark so it restarted when I filed the points.
That was a quick decision to eliminate the points especially when people were complaining so much about the low quality "new" parts they were getting from overseas.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:36 am

The reason your tractor died during mowing was your 60+ year old coil failed…..not certain but pretty confident that was that fault.
For 35 dollars you could have repair your tractor and it would have been fine for 20 plus years. But then again to each as own if your happy with the electronic system that keep on mowing!! As long as you and I keep these tractors out of the scrap yards I’m a happy Cub owner and not a purist just happy they keep running!

Fraternally,
NJ Farmer

TM Tractor has MADE IN THE USA coils in stock for 35 dollars.

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:16 am

NJ Farmer wrote:People who switch to electronic ignition are people who DON’T UNDERSTAND ignition systems. As stated before the electronic ignition will not improve or increase spark, horsepower, or starting ability any better than a well tuned points-style ignition system. But then again it is the owner/operator choice what’s best for him and I won’t discount their choice. That being said a simple system like the Cub’s ignition doesn’t need to be redesigned or replaced it just needs some education and understanding how the system works. Very simple and Very reliable.

For anyone who wants to throw away there distributors I will gladly pay for the shipping cost to my house.

You don't change the distributor, just swap out the points and condenser for the Pertronix. I understand the original system quite well, but I did get tired of having the points spring breaking while using the tractor. I would be glad to send you some broken points though.

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:10 am

I must say in my 40 plus years of working on cars, trucks, tractor and airplanes I have never seen a broken points spring. That being said anything is possible but that seems to me quite unbelievable. Definitely poor quality materials without question but I don’t normally buy the cheapest parts.

NJ Farmer

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:10 pm

Whether you believe or not makes no difference to me, I bought them either at the local Case dealer or NAPA. I don't know why you are so dead set against electronic ignitions.

getitrunning
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 37881
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1948 w mower
Farmall Cub 1949
super A w/cultivators
super A w/woods 59
cub low boy 154
cub cadet 1864
Yanmar 1500D
Belarus 525
Ford 4000 1962 Diesel

Postby getitrunning » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:17 pm

just something I noticed about cheap points, a few years ago I was working on a international 414 and the plastic that holds the points spring wire deteriorated after just a few hours. it had a Lucas ignition with after market points. I searched a whole bunch and found genuine old stock Lucas points direct from great Britain. far superior in construction and the tractor is still going strong, very sorry I sold it. well last week I was going through some stuff and found points rotor and plugs for the super a magneto I had bought 20 years ago. not put together nearly as well as those old stock Lucas , then yesterday at the flea market a guy had some old, very old stock briggs and Stratton and OMC points, again far superior than the stuff I got From tractor supply, probably tisco, 20 years ago.
ii know that Hamilton bob tries to sell only the best quality stuff and have yet to order points from them.
just a few observations from what little experience I have