This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AndrewSpencer
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 20855

Re: Clutch

Postby AndrewSpencer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:59 pm

Thank you all! New pressure plate and throwout bearing ordered. Will set it correctly on the bench before install, then double check again.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:08 pm

AndrewSpencer wrote:Thank you all! New pressure plate and throwout bearing ordered. Will set it correctly on the bench before install, then double check again.
Pressure plate has to be installed on the flywheel to set the finger height.

Research how to properly adjust the clutch free play.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:50 pm

Hi,
The finger height is set with the pressure plate and clutch disc fully assembled on the flywheel, and the bolts tightened. The finger height changes as the 6 pressure plate bolts are tightened.
The finger height then should be 1 3/16", measured to the flat surface below the fingers.
If you set the finger height with the pressure plate off the flywheel, the finger height will be wrong when assembled on the flywheel.
They have said on here that some new pressure plates come with the fingers set too low for a Cub.
Someone said the pressure plate may be used on another brand of tractor that uses the lower finger height.
They said even new pressure plates need the finger height checked, and set if not right.
Below is a picture of where to measure the finger height to, when the pressure plate is assembled on the flywheel, not off, like the pic is. :)
I sent you a PM.
Attachments
Cub clutch 3.jpg

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:28 pm

Also, it is advisable to soak your new throwout bearing in oil for a few days (my spare had been soaking a year!).
Then pump it full of cheap grease before installation. I also wipe the face of the TOB with some grease.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

AndrewSpencer
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby AndrewSpencer » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:27 pm

Thank you all for the amazing words of wisdom!
Made it back last night from a week of volunteering at a christian camp in PA. I have greased more wheel bearing and changed more oil than I thought possible in a week!

We decided we had enough of people so we stayed home from church and worked on the tractor instead.
Got it split and wow! The fingers were really bent! And yes that throwout bearing was so dry it actually split!

Planning to re-use the friction disc and it only looks like the flywheel was worn on the inside edge.

Before re-assembly I want to double check input shaft and bearing clearance.
And do a better job setting the pressure plate arms.
There was a bit of oil from what I am assuming is a rear main leak. Certainly less than a model A Ford, so I wasn't too worried about it unless you all think otherwise.

Anything else to check while I am in there?
Attachments
IMG_5615.jpeg
IMG_5616.jpeg
IMG_5617.jpeg
IMG_5618.jpeg
IMG_5619.jpeg
IMG_5621.jpeg

AndrewSpencer
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby AndrewSpencer » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:28 pm

And a few more that didnt attach last time.
Attachments
IMG_5613.jpeg
IMG_5614.jpeg

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:32 pm

Andrew,
You have it split, get one of Tim's (tst) reworked rear seals and be done with that leak.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:46 pm

I appreciate that the grass is growing and the problems presented by your mowing machine being down. The rear main seal leak is only going to get worse, so that raises a proverbial question -- "Why is there never enough time to fix it right, but always enough time to do it over?" Peter is right; Andrew, you have it split, get one of Tim's (tst) reworked rear seals and be done with that leak.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:45 pm

AndrewSpencer wrote:Anything else to check while I am in there?

Hi,
I would read the message I sent you again.

In the pics of your throwout bearing holder it looks like the upper sides of it are bent in. It might be the pic making it look that way. If they are bent in, they need to be bent out so the holder fits right in the clutch housing, and the holder doesn't move side to side on the long pin.
The sides of the holder should be out so they almost touch the sides of the casting, with the pin in place.
If you bend the sides of the holder out, it has to be so it holds the sides of the bearing tight, and the upper part of the bearing can't fall down against the fingers. It may take time to bend it to the right shape.
The bearing has to be centered on the 3 pressure plate fingers. Check that after putting the Cub together, before running the engine, and pushing the clutch pedal down.
You can put the Cub together with 1 bolt on each side of the clutch housing, with the nuts tightened on them.
Get under the Cub and check the contact of the bearing on the fingers. Push the pedal down until the bearing contacts the fingers. Use a light to see it. If the contact isn't centered, split the Cub again, and change the bend in the holder side to side.
Put in all the clutch housing bolts when done adjusting the holder. DON'T run the Cub without all the bolts in place.
Below is a pic of a new holder from TM Tractor Parts.
Attachments
Cub clutch.JPG

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:10 pm

If the clutch disc is only touching in the center area of the place for it on the flywheel, the flywheel may need to go to an engine shop that can resurface it so it is flat. The disc needs to make good contact on the full area for it on the flywheel, and on the pressure plate.
If it looks like the disc or pressure plate were hot, it may have been slipping, I don't know if they were from here.
You don't want the clutch slipping using a rotary mower.
You can use a long straight edge that you know is straight, and put it across the flywheel and see if the surface is flat.
Check the disc and pressure plate and see if they are flat too.
They have said on here that the oil seal sold nowadays is too small to fit tight in the older Cub engine rear seal retainers. tst machines used retainers and puts in a seal that fits tight in the retainer.
tst may have an ad for the repaired rear oil seal retainers in The Vine on here.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:50 am

I assume you are replacing the TOB...it is recommended that the new one be soaked in engine oil for several days, then pump it full of "cheap" grease. After installing, wipe the face of the TOB with grease, as well.

Here is Tim's (tst) ad for the new TOB:
https://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=223&t=116548

A reminder, clutch fingers should be adjusted to between 1-1/8" & 1-1/4" AFTER it is installed on the flywheel. Read through the HOW TO's on adjusting the fingers.

And it is worth taking the flywheel to a machine shop for resurfacing. Perhaps sand the clutch disc to remove any glazing.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

AndrewSpencer
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby AndrewSpencer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:32 am

Glen,
Morning! I finally figured out how to read the private messages. And yes, i did make sure that the throwout bearing holder was centered, “tight” and in good shape.

I believe that the biggest issue was that the neighbor just rode the clutch till it overheated and it all failed and failed it did!

Looking at the rear main and the seal, i clearly did something with it. It looks like it is just leaking on the od of the seal. Why not just put it on with rtv on the exterior?
Attachments
IMG_5622.jpeg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:39 am

The RTV might be a temporary fix but will eventually leak again. Tst bores the retainer to accommodate a larger seal that is a press fit.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

AndrewSpencer
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby AndrewSpencer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:05 pm

Measured the flywheel and we are less than .001 out.

I suppose this far in we might as well dress it. Or is this also a symptom of the pressure plate not always seating properly, therefore only grabbing that inner 1/4”?
Attachments
IMG_5624.jpeg
IMG_5625.jpeg
IMG_5626.jpeg