Blade width extension?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Blade width extension?

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:45 am

Actually, my Kubota is dimensionally very similar to the 184, with the same fat turf tires at about the same width. I have a 5' Kubota blade, on it and I don't really have the issues some of the others have mentioned. The extra 3" on each side actually make a lot of difference.

Paul in NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07832
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub

Re: Blade width extension?

Postby Paul in NJ » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:21 pm

I had a 49 with welded extensions. When the snow was dry it would remove snow quickly and be very productive. When getting into any wet, packed or drifted snow the extended blade would take a bigger bite than the tractor could handle. The issue was traction. Was running chains, weights and filled tires. Also be watchful since the blade is wider, if you apply a load at the outer edge, say scarping a bank of hard, frozen snow, you create a larger moment loading the blade frame. If you only have the one blade, it may compromise the ability to grade harder denser materials. It would be optimized for snow removal where light dozer work could be compromised. If the wings were designed as bolt on, then you can experiment with your specific conditions, but should an unexpected change occur these could be removed.