This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

RH Differential Shaft Removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ct Cub
Zip Code: 06492

RH Differential Shaft Removal

Postby Ct Cub » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 pm

So I have been reading some old posts and want to make sure I am going about this removal correctly.
- Remove outer bearing cover, gasket and four bolts.
- Remove bearing retaining ring.
- Loosen the nut and setscrew on brake drum. (Do I have to remove the setscrew completely from the nut and drum?)
- Flood it with PB Blaster
- Try tapping or prying brake drum off.
- If it doesn't come off, using a 3-4# dead blow and brass drift, Drive differential shaft out from inside the final drive to the outside, through the bearing bore. REmove drum once it clearings journal on differential shaft.

I tried tapping light on the drum with no motion. I am following this from a Super A post believing that it is very similar.

Any tips would be appreciated....

Tim

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: RH Differential Shaft Removal

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:59 pm

In addition to removing the set screw there is also a keyway on the brake drum that is aligned with a key on the differential shaft.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:15 am

Hi,
You don't have to remove the snap ring on the outside of the bearing, after removing the cover held on with the 4 bolts. The axle shaft can go out through the hole where the bearing is.
You have to remove the brake drum first, and probably the key under the brake drum, so the shaft will go out through the oil seal.
When putting it together, after putting the key in, be sure to tighten the brake drum set screw, and the lock nut securely. People on here have had the setscrew come loose. :)

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:45 am

I would put wedges in the front at the bolster & axle tube.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:25 pm

Hi,
Yes, use wood wedges at the front axle pivot. You will need to make them.
A Cub is heavier on the left side, and they can tip over if you remove weight from the rear of the tractor.

Below is a pic of wedges. Use a hammer and drive them in tight. Be sure they don't hit at the small end, they need to be tight at the upper and lower sides. Maybe you have them already. :)
Attachments
Cub wedges 2.jpg

Ct Cub
Zip Code: 06492

Postby Ct Cub » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:15 pm

Mission complete guys. Thanks for the tips. Differential shaft swapped, drum back on, ready for re-installation next weekend. Appreciate all the expert help along the way.