One wire alternators

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mrblanche
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 75104

One wire alternators

Postby Mrblanche » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:11 pm

In reading through ALL the posts, I have already come across a number of posts on the subject of a 1-wire alternator. These are popular in hotrodding, but there are two points that are not always mentioned and, rather than add on (and revive) a bunch of old threads, I'll mention them right here.

1. Most one-wire alternators need to come up to a certain RPM level before they will start charging. If your brand-new shiny 1-wire isn't charging, that COULD be the problem.

2. One-wire alternators depend on grounding through their mounting to have a correct "reference" voltage. A bad ground could result in no charging, or excessive charging. If you've seen internet posts on how to make a stick welder with a car alternator, you know that an alternator can put out WAY too much voltage and amperage, under the right (wrong) circumstances. We always advise new hot rod builders to run a ground wire from the alternator to the frame to have the correct ground voltage reference.

I hope one of those will help someone.

rockfarmer
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 78633
Tractors Owned: 1947 Circle Cub
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: One wire alternators

Postby rockfarmer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:31 pm

I think both will help me...hooking up a shiny new 1 wire alternator using Mag and external coil and want to get it right. Keyed ignition. I plan to run a ground from the alternator to the frame. Any recommendations on where exactly to ground to, or pictures?

Also, will the negative post on the coil connect to the side post of the mag?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:39 pm

rockfarmer wrote:I think both will help me...hooking up a shiny new 1 wire alternator using Mag and external coil and want to get it right. I plan to run a ground from the alternator to the frame. Any recommendations on where exactly to ground to, or pictures?
The alternator will ground to the engine block through it's mounting bracket or the belt tensioning bracket. No need to run a separate ground.
Also, will the negative post on the coil connect to the side post of the mag?
Yes. You need to disconnect the magneto's coil and have a ballast resistor on your 6 volt coil or purchase a 12 volt coil with resistor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:28 pm

If you use the napa RAY 2134011SW it is designed with a low kick in rpm, it is a delco 10 type, has a boss to put an external ground on, you cannot have to many grounds, they do not hurt, many have bad grounds through the mounting brackets due too much paint and corrosion

rockfarmer
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 pm

Thanks Eugene and Tim!

Too late for the alternator recommendation on this one, but I will remember if/when purchasing the next one.

Does the below wiring look correct? In particular the green wire. Since the ignition is a 3 way switch does it need power from the BATTERY side of ammeter, or does it get power from the alternator side when switched to accessory?

48 new wiring for alternator.jpg

The long black and white wire (+ coil) and short black and white wire (light switch) are hooked to ignition accessory post and alternator side of ammeter.

rockfarmer
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:49 pm

wiring 1 wire alt.jpg

Based on the above wiring diagram, there is no need for the green wire in my previous post.

Can I use the 3 position ignition switch, currently installed, as a two position switch ignoring the BAT terminal on the ignition, like below, and use the ACC position as the ON position?

48 alternator preliminary wiring 2.jpg

Or should I invest another $40 for a good push pull ignition?

Mrblanche
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 75104

Postby Mrblanche » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 pm

Eugene wrote:The alternator will ground to the engine block through it's mounting bracket or the belt tensioning bracket. No need to run a separate ground.

I have seen several T bucket electrical systems end up a puddle of molten plastic, copper, and aluminum following that advice. Unless you have just assembled your tractor with new, unpainted parts, you may NOT get enough grounding through the mounting brackets. An extra ground wire from the alternator to at least a major connection on the engine will never hurt. Personally, I usually run one all the way back to the battery, or to the ground on the starter (where, by the way, I always run a large ground wire, at least 10 gauge, from one of the mounting bolts to the battery). But hey, you know what they say about opinions and free advice.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Mrblanche wrote:I have seen several T bucket electrical systems end up a puddle of molten plastic, copper, and aluminum following that advice. But hey, you know what they say about opinions and free advice.
Yes, and everything someone states on the internet is true.

Must have been one heck of a fire; plastic 540F, aluminum 1221F, copper 1984F, to create a puddle.

If you don't think you may not have enough grounding between the alternator and engine block, ohm the alternator to engine block.
I have an excuse. CRS.

coppersmythe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70785
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . '57 higgins v-drive wooden boat/original graymarine 4 banger . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:06 am

good morning from the deep south . i've been using the delco that tst recommended in the post above . works great and starts charging almost at idle for me . i did not put a ground wire on it and its been working fine , but might go ahead and do it , cheap insurance :!: coppersmythe...................
Last edited by coppersmythe on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockfarmer
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Took my dog to the tractor and dog supply store this morning. Bought this for $13 and hope it answers my questions above.
2 way ignition tsc.jpg

48 2 way ignition wiring.jpg

Look right?

MilGunsmith
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07826
Tractors Owned: 1948 Ford 8N
1955 Lo Boy

Postby MilGunsmith » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 pm

Does anyone make a 6 volt version? My 8n generator is not charging.

coppersmythe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70785
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . '57 higgins v-drive wooden boat/original graymarine 4 banger . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 pm

good afternoon rockfarmer , i hope i didnt inadvertently hijack your thread . i have had pretty good luck with aftermarket switchs like the one you have , rarely have i "fried" anything . but , my eyes glaze over somewhat with electrical problems . i've succumbed to the siren song of the 12v conversion . although my '48 is "stock". your due diligence tracking down the correct schematic will lessen the need for a fire extinguisher . coppersmythe...............