This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cleaning a disassembled carburetor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.
Circle of Safety: Y

Cleaning a disassembled carburetor

Postby Papa's Cub » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:26 am

I disassembled this carb about a week ago just to clean it up a bit before trying to start my Cub Annie Mae which hasn't ran in a few years, so, I wasn't really surprised at the dried up old gas deposits inside. I soaked it for a few days in acetone hoping this would do the job. Yesterday afternoon I removed it from the acetone and put it on the bench to dry, planning to reassemble it today. Well this morning I discovered after cleaning as best I could with a toothbrush that the orifices are stopped up with sort of a gum/tar material. What little of this material I could dig out looks like dried pine tree tar. The strand of copper wire I tried using just isn't strong enough to dig this material out. So ... my question is how have others moved beyond this dilemma? I have some guitar string that I could try. Would it cause any additional harm if I boiled it in water for a few minutes. Thanks in advance, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Cleaning a disassembled carburetor

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:52 am

I use Berryman's Carb cleaner, with basket. Basically, place disassembled carb parts in the basket. Let soak.

I have a gallon container that's probably 10 years old.

There are quite a number of carb cleaners available at your auto parts store. Ask the old guy at the auto parts store for his recommendation.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:45 pm

IH Carburetor Rebuild Procedure.pdf
(265.54 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:40 pm

I use an ultrasonic cleaning machine and the carbs look amazing cleaned up.

J3 Driver
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17241
Tractors Owned: 1976 C-160 Wheelhorse
1995 JD F525
1998 JD 955 with 70A loader and 54 blade
JD 71 planter modified for use on Sleevehitch
Brinly plow, disk, and cultivator.
Son has a 1957 Cub with fast hitch, snowplow, 194 plow, disk, carryall, Mott fast hitch flail mower, and windbreaker
1942 John Deere H

Postby J3 Driver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote:I use an ultrasonic cleaning machine and the carbs look amazing cleaned up.

This. But fill it up with Hopps gun cleaner.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:25 pm

I use vinegar and dish soap

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks for all of the information. I'm one of those people who likes several options when seeking a solution to any task. Last night I disassembled it and removed the float, then boiled it in water and dawn dish detergent for about ten minutes. After it cooled I scrubbed it clean with a toothbrush and a combination of baking soda and detergent and used a piece of guitar string to clean the tubes and passages. I've adjusted the float and plan to mount it and adjust the governor rod today. With the expertise of the men on this forum I'm another step closer to hearing this new-to-me cub come back to life. Thanks Again, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Papa's Cub wrote:Thanks for all of the information. I'm one of those people who likes several options when seeking a solution to any task. Last night I disassembled it and removed the float, then boiled it in water and dawn dish detergent for about ten minutes. After it cooled I scrubbed it clean with a toothbrush and a combination of baking soda and detergent and used a piece of guitar string to clean the tubes and passages. I've adjusted the float and plan to mount it and adjust the governor rod today. With the expertise of the men on this forum I'm another step closer to hearing this new-to-me cub come back to life. Thanks Again, Tom.

Using guitar strings, having different gauges, is a good tip. Thanks.

Also, don't forget to refer to the Fuel section under the How To Forum for a lot of great info on carb repair and calibration. Located here:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=139
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Stanton wrote:Using guitar strings, having different gauges, is a good tip.

Metal guitar strings are pretty stiff. They are OK in the basic passages. But I wouldn't use them in anything that is machined to a specific size (jet, metering tube, etc.). Stick with the copper wires.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:51 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Stanton wrote:Using guitar strings, having different gauges, is a good tip.

Metal guitar strings are pretty stiff. They are OK in the basic passages. But I wouldn't use them in anything that is machined to a specific size (jet, metering tube, etc.). Stick with the copper wires.

You're right, they would be too stiff for that. I was thinking of an enlarged metering jet opening I was trying to size. Was searching around the shop for different sizes of wire to test fit into the opening, so I could use my calipers to measure the closest wire size. A set of guitar strings would have been nice for that. Sorry I didn't write what I was actually thinking.

Anyway, got the jet opening measured at 0.040", which is why my fuel mixture was too rich. Have a new jet now.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety