This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil Leak

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cdadamson
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 95821

Oil Leak

Postby cdadamson » Wed May 23, 2018 2:53 pm

I'm new to the forum and restoring a '53 Cub that had been sitting for a few decades. My first tractor restore. After pressure washing off the dirt and debris, a leak from the right rear final drive brake opening started in earnest. Is it more likely coming from the final drive or the oil seal at the transmission? How complicated is a oil seal replacement project? Any tips or tricks?
I generally work on classic British sports cars so oil leaks are expected....

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Oil Leak

Postby Glen » Wed May 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi,
The first thing you could do is check the transmission oil level. They commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the case. This can raise the oil level, then it will run out the seals, into where the brakes are.

The trans oil level plug is low on the left side of the trans, it should be filled only to there, the trans holds 3 1/2 pints of oil.
The filler plug is on top of the trans, to the rear of the shifter.
The drain plug is on the bottom, visible from under the platform.
The oil could probably use a change, if it hasn't been changed in years.

If the oil level is right, then the seals are probably wornout and need replacing.

Below is a post by Dale Finch showing how to remove a final drive, and repair the brake, and oil seal in the trans.

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=78436

The right side final drive is the same as the left side, except the right side has the longer upper shaft, to reach the trans.
The right side also has the seed plate drive, on the inner lower axle shaft, the left side does not have that.
It's more work to replace the seal in the trans case on the right side, you have to remove the seat post, battery box, loosen the platform, and remove the extension between the trans case and final drive.

There is also a seal in the final drive case that should be replaced if you remove the final drive, it is not shown in Dale's post.
There are 2 seals on the left side, and 2 seals on the right side, so a total of 4 seals on the 2 brake shafts.
Any or all of the seals can leak.

It is easier to buy new brake bands than replace the lining, it is your choice which you want to do. TM Tractor has new parts. The guys on here say they are good quality.

IH changed the style of brakes during 1953, at serial number 173601, so you should check your tractor serial number. You can see the difference in the brakes too. The final drive castings have bigger brake rod holes on the newer style brakes.
Below is a page from the Cub parts manual showing the 2 different styles of brakes.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 004-02.jpg

Below is a listing for the seals. You can see what they are there.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/df/245fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/df/044fp.htm

Below are pics from TM Tractor of the 2 different brakes, and seals in the final drives. Good luck. :)
Attachments
Cub casting.jpg
Cub brake.jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 23, 2018 8:45 pm

The axle extension tube that goes from the transmission housing to the right final drive should have a weep hole on the bottom at the transmission end. If that hole is open, leakage from the transmission should come out there. If it is plugged, leakage from the transmission can reach the weep hole at the final drive end of the tube. If the weep hole on the transmission end is open and oil is coming out the final drive end, the source is probably the final drive.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm

It has been pointed out to me that there is no weep hole on the transmission end of the extension tube. I evidently invented it. So leakage from the transmission case seal will make it across to the area of the brakes before showing up externally.

My excuse is that I have been doing some minor work on a Super A lately. It does have the fabled weep hole!

My error.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:18 am

Jim Becker wrote:It has been pointed out to me that there is no weep hole on the transmission end of the extension tube. I evidently invented it. So leakage from the transmission case seal will make it across to the area of the brakes before showing up externally.

My excuse is that I have been doing some minor work on a Super A lately. It does have the fabled weep hole!

My error.

It’s a great invention Jim, even if it isn’t there :D
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri May 25, 2018 7:40 pm

Could this be considered a modern upgrade? The Correct Police would stroke out!!!!!!
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

cdadamson
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 95821

Postby cdadamson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks to all. I replaced the seals and all seems good now. Judging from the color of the oil that came out of the transmission, it was a good idea to fix it!