This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Keeping the Cub in the Family

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Keeping the Cub in the Family

Postby ricky racer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:38 am

bryon wrote:My brother and I are really looking forward to working on this, especially since I have two youngsters who I can pass her down to :tractor:

If you are planning on passing down the tractor to your kids, you might want to remove the calcium chloride from the tires. Calcium chloride will rot out the rims at some point. The added weight is nice but it comes at a cost. Removing the tires and cleaning the current rust from the rims then protecting them with a fresh coat of paint will mean your kids won't have to deal with it later.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:27 am

or ya might try flex foam in them---no rusting the rims
get er done; life is good

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:59 am

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on inheriting the '48.
I have a soft spot as I received mine the same way.
To answer one of your questions, yes calcium chloride will destroy pressure guages. A trick I use is to rotate the stem to the top and take the weight off that wheel by jacking it up. It also can eat the valve stem from the inside causing it to leak air without a tight fitting cap. Mine has always had chloride in the tires and the added weight does help when plowing snow here in Mi.
The exhaust manifold doesn't look too bad. If the pipe didn't break off the threads should be ok. I replaced mine with a length of 1" black pipe for gas.
The blue on your hand lift is original from factory. Some of the other equipment or accessories were also blue. My cultivator mounting arms, and the mounting metal on most othe equipment was originally blue. Plow, sickle bar mower, seed planter.
There is a wealth of knowledge amongst the membership here. They have helped me out several times. Good luck, I hope you get it running.
Hutch
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

mva1958
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23314

Postby mva1958 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:05 am

bryon wrote:Is there any way to verify tire pressure while having calcium chloride in the tires? Would it damage the pressure gauge and/or air compressor?

Rotate the tire so that the valve stem is above the level of the liquid. Purge a bit of air to clear the stem and then check the pressure.
If only Mrs. Hoyt and Mrs. Clagwell had gotten along...

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 am

bryon wrote:Is there any way to verify tire pressure while having calcium chloride in the tires? Would it damage the pressure gauge and/or air compressor?

I believe if you make sure the valve stem is at the top, you can safely check the pressure, and add air if needed. They should only be partially filled with the calcium chloride.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:44 am

khutchins wrote:The blue on your hand lift is original from factory. Some of the other equipment or accessories were also blue. My cultivator mounting arms, and the mounting metal on most othe equipment was originally blue. Plow, sickle bar mower, seed planter.

ACE hardware carries International Harvester Blue paint. I bought a couple of quarts from my local ACE last year. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=62616276
Jim

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:03 am

There's some very good info on restoring the manifold on the "HOW TO FORUM". Check the section on "engine, trans, hydraulics....", here''s one of them. viewtopic.php?f=141&t=21985#p162846 Also there's some tips on dealing with a stuck engine as well.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:12 am

bryon wrote:Next time I work on it, I'll take the manifold off and really take a look at it.

You might want to start putting some penetrant on those manifold nuts NOW.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 am

Nice Cub bryron.
Great provenance.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:25 am

Welcome to the forum.
If there is any way to bring it to Missouri it will be a lot more pleasurable to work on it in your backyard if you can.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:52 am

Pressure is pressure whether it is air or water. You can measure the pressure like normal, but it's best if you park the tractor with the valve stem on top to prevent any liquid from escaping. It's very difficult to get the water level above the valve stem, so most tires will not be filled above this level.

Calcium chloride WILL damage the pressure gauge if it leaks out, so you may want to keep a dedicated gauge for liquid filled tires. You can purchase gauges specifically for liquid filled tires at Tractor Supply and other implement dealers.

It won't damage the compressor, as there is no way for the liquid to reach the compressor unless you specifcally squirt it ON the compressor.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:

Pressure is pressure whether it is air or water. You can measure the pressure like normal, but it's best if you park the tractor with the valve stem on top to prevent any liquid from escaping. It's very difficult to get the water level above the valve stem, so most tires will not be filled above this level.

Calcium chloride WILL damage the pressure gauge if it leaks out, so you may want to keep a dedicated gauge for liquid filled tires. You can purchase gauges specifically for liquid filled tires at Tractor Supply and other implement dealers.

It won't damage the compressor, as there is no way for the liquid to reach the compressor unless you specifcally squirt it ON the compressor.

This about covers it. Use an air/water gauge. If you check the pressure with the valve stem below the water level, it will be immediately obvious. After checking the pressure, squirt a little bit of air into the tire to clear the water solution out of the stem/valve. This will clear the solution out of the valve and help it last longer. If you get much of the solution on the outside of the rim, rinse it with plain water.

rhowes
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14305
Tractors Owned: 2 vintage cub cadets

Postby rhowes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi sounds like you have a good project and a great story. You come to the right place these guys are the best there's no problem they can't talk you through. Don't worry about not being a mechanic these tractors are about as simple as they get and a flat screw driver adjustable wrench and a good pair of pliers is a a good tool box good luck with grandpas cub
Richard

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:47 am

bryon wrote:I live in Warrensburg and work in Sedalia. I'm hoping to get to the Mid-Mo cubfest, but it is during the same weekend as my step-son's graduation :(

The Kansas CubFest is 2 weeks earlier, north of Burlington, KS. It's a short drive to a great time... Directions and particulars given in this CubFest thread:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=95825
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

bryon
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49802
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub

Postby bryon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:17 am

Stanton wrote:
bryon wrote:I live in Warrensburg and work in Sedalia. I'm hoping to get to the Mid-Mo cubfest, but it is during the same weekend as my step-son's graduation :(

The Kansas CubFest is 2 weeks earlier, north of Burlington, KS. It's a short drive to a great time... Directions and particulars given in this CubFest thread:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=95825

Hmm. That might be a possibility! Thanks!

Return to “Farmall Cub”