This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub rope tow for sledding?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub rope tow for sledding?

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:50 pm

farmallcub49 wrote:. . . The best was going down the local hill in town, Jim Becker you know this hill; . . .

The ball field near the Post Office?

As I recall, a sled behind a tractor was fairly tame. You can't steer a sled far enough to the side for the tow rope to catch up with a tire. If the tractor driver made a sharp turn, you probably could catch up with the inside tire. What usually happened was you would stop then get yanked when the sled started moving again - like being on the inside of a turn while water skiing. This is provided the tractor driver was sane. OTOH, I remember riding my "flying saucer" with my not-particularly-sane brother driving. Great fun when he swing me out into the road ditch and kept going full blast.

The only injury I remember was my cousin hitting a tree going downhill with his toboggan. It put a big crack in the toboggan where it hit, didn't do his head any good either. Who invented the toboggan? I had more chance of steering the flying saucer.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

clintmo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:23 am

I actually got on Youtube after posting this last night. The hill in that particular video is puny compared to what we're dealing with here. It's very long and steep. Not having to spend 15 minutes hiking back up would really increase the fun. I did get some ideas from looking at some those Youtube videos. The right angle PTO occurred to me but I would think it would be way too fast.

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
farmallcub49 wrote:. . . The best was going down the local hill in town, Jim Becker you know this hill; . . .

The ball field near the Post Office?

Yes, that is the one.
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

Farmallguy44
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43310
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'44 M

Postby Farmallguy44 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:54 pm

I remember Mad River mountain having a tow rope for the sled hill. It had handles spaced out on the rope and you just grabbed it and up you went. Might be a little safer since the handle gets you a foot or so away from the rope and machinery.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:35 am

I'm not sure a Cub would have enough power for anything but the shortest rope tow, but it's worth a try...
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:45 pm

Farmallguy44 wrote:I remember Mad River mountain having a tow rope for the sled hill. It had handles spaced out on the rope and you just grabbed it and up you went. Might be a little safer since the handle gets you a foot or so away from the rope and machinery.

I would avoid putting handles on a homemade rope tow. There are too few safety features on a homemade job as it is, the handles would add an easy place for sleeves and coats and mittens to get hung up on. Not that a bare rope doesn't have it dangers, but it would be harder to get hung up on that alone. Also on the handles, you would need a device to align the handles as they go around the bullwheels at top and bottom as they have a tendency to spin haphazardly as they travel up the hill.

A real rope tow has safety gates at the top and bottom of the hill. Nothing more than a limit switch with a horizontal piece of conduit holding it open. If a skier gets too close they knock off the conduit, closing the switch and interupting power to the electric drive motor. Something that could be hard to engineer into a gas tractor.

Of course you don't have to have these things on a homemade job but just some things to think about. I believe it could be done and fairly easily, but like most things that are fun, it wouldn't be the safest.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:47 pm

Jeff M wrote:I'm not sure a Cub would have enough power for anything but the shortest rope tow, but it's worth a try...

If you watched the video I posted, an 8-12hp lawn mower running just above an idle doesn't seem to have any trouble. I'm sure a Cub could do this without issue.
Jim

Circle of Safety

clintmo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:32 pm

LRiddle wrote: like most things that are fun, it wouldn't be the safest.

Quote of the day, right there.

As far as power, I have no doubt the Cub could pull me and my whole family up a snowy hill on sleds without breaking a sweat.

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:28 am

ditch the sled, get a larger tractor tire and put it on top of the hill. You and a friend get in inside of it at opposite side and then have someone roll it down the hill. Really fun if you've had some social lubrication.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

DRShahan
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20770
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub
Kubota B7100 with 1630 loader
International 2444

Postby DRShahan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:14 pm

It should be pretty easy to rig one of these as a trip line. Make sure it is far enough away to give the tractor time to stop before you get to it!
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Outboard-Engine-Switch-Lanyard/dp/B01J3BZGQY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484681802&sr=8-3&keywords=engine+kill+switch

Do the right angle belt pulleys have any gearing to them or are they 1:1?

Assuming they are, a 6 inch pulley would give you 10 mph at 560 rpm. Most T-bar lifts are around half that and the bars have springs in them so they accelerate gradually. It might be quite the jolt when you grab hold!

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:38 pm

DRShahan wrote:Do the right angle belt pulleys have any gearing to them or are they 1:1?

Assuming they are, a 6 inch pulley would give you 10 mph at 560 rpm. Most T-bar lifts are around half that and the bars have springs in them so they accelerate gradually. It might be quite the jolt when you grab hold!

Keep in mind that the Cub pto spins at engine speed, and the right angle belt pulley has a 1.21:1 reduction. So if you give her full throttle (1800rpm), you could be launching up the sledding hill at 26 mph! That's a glove-melter if I've ever heard of one.
Jim

Circle of Safety

DRShahan
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20770
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub
Kubota B7100 with 1630 loader
International 2444

Postby DRShahan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Urbish wrote:Keep in mind that the Cub pto spins at engine speed, and the right angle belt pulley has a 1.21:1 reduction. So if you give her full throttle (1800rpm), you could be launching up the sledding hill at 26 mph! That's a glove-melter if I've ever heard of one.

I was figuring engine speed, but math did come out awfully close to a 540 pto! I just worked backward from 10mph to see if the pto would even be close.

With a 1.21:1, you would hit 10 mph at 670 rpm. I figure the cub will run it without revving up too high, but even idle would be pretty quick.

Can a v-belt pulley or something similar that would hold a rope be mounted to the right angle pto?

Poppy67
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: a1x7l1

Postby Poppy67 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:31 am

Please be careful... these very powerful machines are very unforgiving if someone should come into contact with moving parts.

Return to “Farmall Cub”